Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Swedish Winter!!!!

For a person from hot chennai, sweden and its snow should be paradise. But not so, it was exciting only on the first day. But as days sailed by, am starting to hate the snow. Its horrible to walk in the snow, slippery roads and wind to boot! Atleast one positive thing about the snow is that it brightens up the dark, moody wintry horizon. But i really miss the sun..Chennai is superbbbbbbbbbb....
With so much of snow, what do the swedes do to keep themselves busy?? They ski. Yes, i had the privilege of trying it out one day. I never wanted to miss this as it is once in a life time opportunity for me. There are different types of skiing. One of them is the downhill skiing and the other one which i know of is the cross country skiing. Some of my friends were planning for a week end skiing adventure and i said am too glad to join them.
We started early morning. Plan was to start at 7.30 AM but as usual some VIPS were late. Finally we were off in the Red Car. We reached our destination - Grangesberg in about 45 minutes. Thanks to the classy driving of the owner of the Red Car,Pramod. We were four of us, Led by our Expert Skiier, Amit. Myself,Sasi and Pramod formed the gang. We hired the skiing equipment. I was trying out some skiing boots and i was ready but someone from the crowd asked me what do u want to do. I said downhill. There were ruptures of laughter all around. I was wearing the shoes meant for Board skiing. Anyways, Better late than never. I got the correct equipment for my adventure.
It was really tough to walk. The skiing boots were really heavy and covered most of the lower leg. It seems this style is to avoid injuries to the ankle and the foot. I got tips from Gurujis Amit and Pramod on how to walk with the boots and how to wear the skiis and what are the rules to follow. I tried putting on the skiis and it was really harddddddd. Somehow i managed it and gurujis were telling me how to stand, how to control the speed and how to brake. Everything is easy to hear, but it is very hard to implement.
I was jealous of the small kids (maybe 3 years old) who were laughing at the way i was moving and who showed off their skiing skills in grand style.
It was a scintillating experience when i went on my skiis....Fell down many times... I tried my best but my stomach was telling me you are hungry. After a couple of hours of trying to do some skiing and some sightseeing, i finally decided it is time for some photoshoot. Took some snaps and climbed the hill rather than pay for the ropeway. That was tough!!!!
All of us went to a restaurant nearby, and i fed on pancakes and coffee.
Though we has booked our equipment for the whole day, i was too tired to continue and so was Pramod and Sasi. Our Guruji Amit was trying his best to follow a Swedish girl but he had to fall over many times..We thought it is prudent to get inside the car and wait for Amit rather than brave the cold.
But it was a thrilling experience which i will never forget. I can now proudly say that i did Downhill Skiing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaushik said...

Dude try out ice skating ! In some frozen river or lake.. then you know how many bones you have.. probly end up breaking few.. but its worth an experience !

7:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Our Guruji Amit was trying his best to follow a Swedish girl but he had to FALL over many times.."

Of course, ppl always FALL in love.... never RISE.... hehehe

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home